We use makeup brushes on a daily basis, yet we tend to overlook an important fact: those personal items need to be cleaned regularly and in a thorough manner! Did you know that regularly cleaning dirty makeup brushes is crucial for your skin’s health?
Not only will regular brush cleaning help keep your skin looking its best, but it will also help your brushes last longer. Makeup brushes are an investment, so you want to take care of them! Here are some tips on how to clean your makeup brushes:
Constant sanitation keeps your makeup brushes free of build-up and bacteria, which are a common reason why you wake up with new pimples every morning. Furthermore, clean makeup brushes allow you to apply makeup smoothly because they’re not drenched in excess products and oils.
How To Deep Clean Even The Dirtiest Makeup Brushes
When Should You Wash Makeup Brushes?
Did you know that experts say you should wash your makeup brushes after every use? Even though it might seem like overkill, bacteria can build up on your brushes almost instantly. spraying them with an alcohol-based solution daily is the best way to prevent this build-up. If you adopt this habit, you will only have to deep clean your makeup brushes every two weeks.
What Do You Need To Deep Clean Dirty Makeup Brushes?
I used to think that in order to deep clean my very dirty brushes, I would need a whole bunch of different cleaners. But it turns out that the amount of dirt doesn’t actually matter. All you need are some common sense ingredients like a glass of hot water, some shampoo (preferably a baby shampoo), a dry towel, and a little bit of patience.
How To Deep Clean Even Da-Durtiest Brushes!
- Take a glass or bowl of hot water and add a small amount of baby shampoo.
- Place your brushes in the mixture and allow them to soak for around 20 minutes. Be careful not to let them in the water for an extended period of time! 20-30 minutes are more than enough for proper soaking.
- Rinse the brushes thoroughly by keeping them with the handle up, towards the water source. If water goes directly into the brush, you risk weakening the glue that is used to keep the bristles together, and that – trust me – will ruin your brush.
- Use some extra shampoo to massage into the brush to remove extra build-up, if needed.
- Don’t forget to wash the brushes’ handles too, as that is also a place for bacteria to grow.
- Rinse again and make sure any residue of shampoo is removed.
- Take a dry towel and place all the brushes on it. This will absorb all the water, yet keep in mind that synthetic brushes require up to 15 hours to dry, while natural brushes will dry in a couple of hours.
If you can, do dry your brushes with their heads upside down to protect the glue! Since it’s very hard to find a way to do that at home, I really recommend getting a brush drying holder. They’re not very expensive, and once acquired, will probably last you for many years to come. They look like this:
How To Clean Makeup Sponges Or Beauty Blenders?
For cleaning a makeup sponge you can either use a special cleaner or a simple bathroom soap. You will have to do the following:
- Place your dirty sponge under warm water, allow it to soak, and squeeze to remove makeup.
- Rub the sponge all over the soap bar and make sure is covered completely in soap.
- Squeeze and rinse until the water comes out clean. This is a sign your sponge is bacteria and makeup-free.
- Place it on a dry towel and allow it to dry for up to 10 hours. Due to its spongy nature, it absorbs plenty of water, which means you will have to be patient to dry it properly!
It’s important to clean your makeup brushes regularly, even though it may seem like a nuisance at first. Not cleaning them can lead to bacteria transferring to your face when you apply makeup, which is definitely something you want to avoid! Please don’t wait until you reach a disaster brush situation like I did. It’s important to think of your brushes as you would your hair – you wouldn’t go a week without washing it, and the same goes for your brushes. They need to be cleaned regularly for healthy skin and the best makeup results.