‘Time is money’ is a quote that does not just exist for the sake of it. Time is of the essence in many scenarios in today’s day and age as the faster one can complete the work, the better. However, often, doing things fast and quickly might lead to inconsistencies in the work about efficiency or quality. While at times, this can be managed and reversed, there is one industry where the consequences of poor quality can be detrimental would be the construction industry. Not only will it increase the costs of the project overall, but it will also result in a massive loss of time and effort for all those involved. In metro cities, especially, where time is not easily available – redoing work can only be a matter of more frustration. Imagine having to pay twice for a building construction cost in Bangalore – in terms of money and also time, the results can be frustrating.
Here are 5 easy ways to be able to effectively improve the efficiency of construction:
- Diligent planning – Any kind of work becomes better if most of the aspects are planned and well thought of. Even with the construction business, planning is a vital part of the whole ordeal, and to be able to successfully carry out the project in its entirety, having a carefully planned out schedule, information, materials, people, resources, time, etc would always come in handy. Insufficient or inefficient planning can lead to an overtake by unexpected obstacles in the process that could have been foreseen. Planning, in construction, does not always mean sitting with a pen and paper – visiting the construction site, doing a thorough recce, a quality check, and inspection of the raw material like cement, iron, etc. Learning from previous mistakes also comes under an important aspect of planning.
- Getting equipped with the newest technology – Working with outdated materials and technology will only make things slower. Any reliable and trustworthy house construction company should make sure that they are equipped with the newest aspects available in the market. Planning with a pen and paper vs planning on an excel sheet that can be easily shared and edited by everyone in the team, even small aspects like these can improve the work-life balance, motivation, and thoroughness of the project by a lot. These days, technology has made great advances in almost all walks of life. For architecture and construction, using 3-D images to scale the models can greatly enhance the project planning abilities. To view a digital description of what one is about to build with specifications that are accurate to the T reduce potential errors. The right equipment, tools, materials as small as screws, help preserve the quality of the structure for longer periods. High durability in each weather and the atmospheric condition is what makes a good building.
- Take heed of the reports on-ground staff – What would be better than to take the insight of the people who are working on the ground and are trained to notice discrepancies or any inconsistencies about the work? A staff that is experienced will be able to offer wise insight into how to efficiently work on a construction project to be able to effectively save time and money while delivering the best quality work. These reports obtained on the ground will also help correct any mistakes, if any, thus making the construction durable. Experienced staff can bring a wealth of knowledge to not only a particular project but the company on the whole. Learning from past mistakes also helps in planning and keeping things efficient in subsequent projects.
- Training of the staff – As important as experience is, one cannot always hire people for projects who have been a part of a similar ordeal before. That being said, experience or no experience, any construction company should invest in training of the staff to be able to extract the best out of the workforce. Training goes a long way in not only increasing productivity and efficiency but also the morale of the workforce. Good quality training can help the crew work together as a team, thus completing the work faster and better. This training should be extended to the supervisors, managers, and all the people involved in the groundwork of the project. Having sound techniques and principles for the workforce to carry out will also result in consistency throughout the work, and even on different projects. Mastery of skills is helpful in any work – training helps you get just that.
- Establish scales to measure performance – How will one know if they have performed to their optimal level or whether they have been able to effectively learn from their mistakes? You can easily do this with the help of set and measurable scales for performance. Along with being an effective tool for learning, performance measures are also effective motivational and learning methods. Setting clear boundaries and scales for performance along with incentives like holidays, a bonus, etc would help the workforce put in all of their efforts and do well. This also helps to greatly improve the communication among the team members. The metrics to measure job performance can be set against different variables like – time-on-site or on the job, feedback from clients, timely completion of work, overall deliverables, lesser mistakes, etc.
Improving construction efficiency does not only prove to be beneficial when it comes to saving time and money but it is also a great factor to build the morale and overall confidence of the crew, the managers, and the team overall. This only leads to them working better, faster, and much more efficiently in the subsequent projects. Any company that looks at the holistic development and benefits to their customers and their team is set to go a long way in any business. Ensure that you are choosing the best for your projects as well. These tips should help you build construction efficiency for any project you undertake.